|*||True 3.1-megapixel Super CCD, interpolates to 6.03 megapixels for a maximum resolution of 2,832 x 2,128.|
|*||Excellent color rendition.|
|*||Unique “cradle” design for easy downloads, web cam capability.|
|*||Movie and Audio modes make camera a true multimedia tool.|
EZ Print Link
Readers have requested free-formatted versions of my reviews (without the graphical accouterments of our page design), to make printing easier. I’m accommodating this request with special copies of each review, formatted to allow the text flow to be dictated by the browser window. Click for a print-optimized page.
For several years now, Fuji has produced a line of compact, stylish digicams in a unique vertical format. Their smooth contours fit readily into typical pockets, and their classic design makes them welcome accessories for even the most style-conscious users. At the same time, Fuji has endowed the line with a nice collection of features, and user interfaces comfortable for the novice. Perhaps their greatest strength lies in the excellent color that’s become a hallmark of Fuji’s camera lineup. (Many professionals shooting portrait and wedding photography have gravitated toward Fuji’s pro SLR cameras for their beautiful handling of skin tones.)
The latest model in this line is the Fuji FinePix F601 Zoom, a model built around the most recent generation of Fuji’s SuperCCD technology. The camera sports a 3.1 megapixel SuperCCD (producing 6.0 megapixel finished file sizes) and a 3x optical zoom lens, and a surprising range of features, all packed into sleek metal case. Overall, a very appealing little camera for the snapshooter looking for high style and excellent color. Read on for all the details!
- 3.1-megapixel Super CCD delivering as high as 2,048 x 1,536-pixel images (interpolated as high as 2,832 x 2,128 pixels or 6.03 megapixels).
- Real-image, optical viewfinder and 1.5-inch, color LCD monitor.
- 3x, 8.3-24.9mm optical zoom lens (equivalent to a 36-108mm lens on a 35mm camera).
- As much as 4.4x digital zoom.
- Automatic and manual focus control, plus adjustable focus area.
- Apertures from f/2.8-f/10.8.
- Shutter speeds from 1/2,000 to three seconds.
- Automatic, Program AE, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority, and Manual exposure modes, plus five preset “Scene” modes.
- Adjustable ISO with five settings.
- Spot, Average, and Multi metering options.
- White balance setting with seven operating modes.
- Two Continuous Shooting modes, as well as Auto Exposure Bracketing and Voice Memo modes.
- Built-in, pop-up flash with five settings.
- Movie with sound and Audio recording modes.
- Images saved as JPEG files on SmartMedia memory cards.
- USB cable and software CD containing drivers, interface software, and ArcSoft VideoImpression.
- DPOF (Digital Print Order Format) compatibility.
- Power from NP-60 rechargeable battery or AC adapter (both included).