|*||4 megapixel sensor for images to 2288 x 1712 pixels|
|*||2.8x optical zoom lens|
|*||QuickTime movies with sound|
|*||Powered by dual AAs or CR-V3 lithium battery|
EZ Print Link
Readers have requested free-formatted versions of our reviews (without the graphical accouterments of our page design), to make printing easier. We are accommodating this request with special copies of each review, formatted to allow the text flow to be dictated by the browser window. Click for a print-optimized page.
Over the past several years, Olympus has been a dominant player in the digicam marketplace. With one of the broadest digital camera lineups in the industry, their models range from pure entry-level, point-and-shoot digicams to the incredible pro-level E-10 SLR. The Camedia D-40 Zoom is the second 4-megapixel model in Olympus’ very popular line of Camedia digital cameras — expanding its already broad range of consumer- and advanced-amateur digicams to a new, high-end prosumer level.
Whereas the earlier C-4040Zoom focused on maximum photographic capabilities, the C-40Zoom aims for a very compact form factor, while giving up relatively few of the powerful features of the 4040 before it. (The main omission relative to the 4040 is an external flash connector.) The net result is an eminently “pocketable” four megapixel digicam, delivering sharp, colorful photos in a take-anywhere package.
- 4.0-megapixel CCD delivering image resolutions as high as 2,288 x 1,712 pixels, plus interpolated files up to 3,200 x 2,400 pixels.
- Real-image optical viewfinder and 1.5-inch TFT color LCD display.
- All-glass 7.25 – 20.3mm 2.8x zoom lens (equivalent to a 35 – 98mm lens on a 35mm camera).
- 4x Digital zoom.
- Automatic, Program, Manual, and Scene exposure modes.
- f/2.8 – f/8 aperture settings.
- Shutter speeds from 1/1,000 to 16 seconds.
- Adjustable white balance with six settings.
- Digital ESP and Spot metering options.
- Built-in flash with six modes.
- Sequence shooting mode and 12-second self-timer.
- QuickTime movies w / sound.
- Panorama mode available with Olympus special function memory cards.
- Images saved in JPEG, Motion JPEG, TIFF, or RAW format to SmartMedia card (16MB card included).
- Power supplied by two AA batteries or optional AC adapter.
- DPOF (Digital Print Order Format) compatibility.
- USB AutoConnect (no driver software needed)